The summer holidays are here and so is Araluen’s summer school holiday guide!
Parents and grandparents around Australia know how long the summer holidays can feel. This summer there is plenty of opportunity at Araluen to get the kids out of the house and into nature! Below are some of our top activities to use all that pent up kid-energy!
Grab your hiking boots and a hat and book a hiking tour with The Hike Collective. Enjoy a 4.5km hike and exclusive access behind the gates at Araluen Botanic Park in Roleystone. The Hike Collective offers:
- Amazing historical stories and secrets covering the local heritage of our fascinating hiking trail & surrounds
- All-day entrance included in your ticket purchase to enjoy Araluen
- A great experience with Perth’s award-winning hiking tour operator
- Friendly and knowledgeable, first aid-trained tour guide
- Our personal recommendations for the best local fruit orchards so you can visit and enjoy locally grown fresh fruits after your hike
2. Pack a picnic and enjoy a barbecue at one of Araluen’s shaded picnic spots
Araluen has several barbecues around the Park and even more picnicking locations! A picnic rug, an esky, and enclosed shoes are all you need to enjoy a day outdoors with family. The Roundhouse Cafe will also be open from Wednesday-Sunday from 10am. Keep an eye on our website for cafe opening hours in summer.
3. Complete a scavenger hunt
Araluen has an awesome scavenger hunt in and around Bennett’s Lawn and Stinton Creek Lawn (conveniently one of our top picnic locations). Ask for a scavenger hunt sheet on arrival and head over to search for the items. Look carefully and listen closely for the real local wildlife such as birds, frogs, and butterflies – and make sure to bring your camera!
4. Explore the digital world of Augmented Reality
For kids particularly passionate about technology, scan the QR codes around the Park. Enter a magical world of fairies, jumping frogs, Blue Banded bees, and the Talking Tree! The device will need to be logged into Facebook Messenger or Instagram for the filters.
There is so much to do at Araluen these summer holidays, and if you plan to take advantage purchase a membership to save on entry fees. We can’t wait to welcome you!
Araluen Botanic Park is open every day from 9am-5pm except for a few days over Christmas and in extreme heat. View our Christmas opening hours here.